- Shave the bar of soap into a 5 gal bucket
- Fill the largest pot you have with water and bring it to a boil
- Pour the boiling water into the bucket and stir to melt the soap chips
- Add 2 cups of Borax and 2 cups of washing soda
- Stir until disolved
- Fill the bucket up almost to the top with cold water
- Allow it cool stirring every so often to break up the gel surface that forms
At this point you can choose to distribute the soap into smaller containers. I find it easier to just use the 5 gal bucket with a lid. I scoop out about a cup of the detergent per load (a cup and a half for larger or dirtier loads).